Thursday, February 26, 2009

From Rebecca Cobbs ('04)

Dear Mr. Kosasky,

It has come to my attention that during these tough economic times, St. Andrew’s had made cuts to the dance program. I understand that something had to be cut. And I understand that someone will be unhappy with any cut. However, I truly think that it is essential to keep at least one mandatory dance class for the middle school.

Cutting the dance program sends the wrong message about the value of dance. It tells students that dance is less important than music, drama, religion, and P.E. While I disagree with this message, for me, it is not the real reason the dance program should remain in its entirety. It is what everyone learns from a dance class that is important. After all, the whole point of a St. Andrew’s education is to provide students pathways to explore and also the skills to then choose their own values.

As you may remember, I was a St. Andrew’s lifer, attending St. Andrew’s from sixth through twelfth grade (although now with the lower school, that sounds like nothing). I actually still remember my sixth grade dance class. I had never danced before, and I had no idea what the expectations would be. I remember the class gave me an opportunity to see a different side of my classmates. We broke into random pairs and groups to choreograph our own dances and I met new people. As I went through the dance program, sparked by that class, I learned more. It helped me learn to ignore what others think (since certainly there is a stigma around dance at St. Andrew’s- which makes it even more important to show that the administration values the program). I learned the athleticism of dance, its combination of the artistic and the physical. Gradually, I came to respect the nuances of an art form I previously knew nothing about.

I understand that some people think dance classes are and were dumb. Frankly, I think that religion classes were dumb. But of course, they weren’t dumb; I just didn’t like the subject. Even though I disliked religion classes, doesn’t mean that I didn’t learn anything valuable from the ones I was forced to take. When students choose to attend St. Andrew’s they sign on to all the pillars of the school, because St. Andrew’s wants to create a well-rounded, respectful, and thoughtful student. For me, I had to sit through religion class. For others, they had to sit through a dance class. In the end, I think we are all better for it.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts. Just to give you an update, I just graduated Middlebury College. I am moving to Boston this weekend. I don’t have a job yet, but I plan to go to law school in a year and a half, so I will figure out some way to pay the bills until then. I look forward to reunion.

Good luck guiding St. Andrew’s during this tough time.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Cobbs

No comments:

Post a Comment